View Single Post
Old 12-30-2023, 06:15 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponjohn View Post
I may be completely off base. Is it possible to block off throttle body and make a top plate to accept a draw through carb?
Not easily, no. These types of twin screw superchargers take the air in through the ends, in this case the front, and move the air axially (lengthwise) down the length of the rotors and discharges towards the rear.

This particular blower is a "blow up" style, which means the rotors are mounted low in the valley, with an air to water intercooler directly on top, and the air is blown upwards towards and through the intercooler which is right on top of the rotors. In the case of this blower, the charge air passes through the intercooler twice, which lowers the IAT's significantly as compared to other designs, and has less plumbing.

If carb(s) are wanted, I think the GMC style blower that takes the air from the top and passes it around the sides of the rotors (radially) is a better choice. I think there are some firms that make a kit for the Pontiac.

These are not as efficient as the twin axial screw type, and usually require a pretty big hole in the hood, but they sure do look cool.

Here is a illustration of how the blow up design works, sorry this is from a later model Ford, and is a much smaller blower, but the principle is the same.

1969 GTO 467, Edelbrock 325 CFM, Terminator EFI
1969 Firebird Convertible
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to darbikrash For This Useful Post: