View Single Post
Old 01-05-2024, 10:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 461-69bird View Post
I got the following readings with my cheapo tester. It might not be the most accurate tester, but I suppose it's consistent.
There is air escaping from the dipstick tube but I don't know if that's normal for these readings.

1 = 20%
3 = 20%
5 = 20%
7 = 19%

2 = 20%
4 = 19%
6 = 20%
8 = 19%

Are the amounts enough to push oil out if the dipstick at high revs? I've had to disconnect my pcv as it sucked oil, then it pushed oil out the dipstick with the pcv capped.
I like that all cylinders are within 1% of each other That suggests that there is no local problem like a leaking valve, damaged piston, etc. So that narrows the probabilities to 2 things:

1) first and foremost you said you used a cheapo tester. The test results are intimately connected to what kind of metering orifice is in the tester and whether the tester has any leaks at the spark plug hole, etc. The first thing I'd do is find a source for a professional quality leakdown tester and retest everything. Do the test with the engine warm, as Steve25 suggested.

2) there is a uniform problem with all 8 cylinders, such as a poor ring seal caused by a consistently incorrect cylinder surface, etc.

Good luck and report back.

Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”