View Single Post
Old 01-24-2024, 03:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

First cam I installed on my engine a few years ago (Melling 068, Johnson Lifters) I had one lifter not turning on the stand during breakin. Immediately bought a new Melling 068 and a set of Melling lifters ... next attempt went fine, and still seems fine with very low mileage on it.

When I tore down the original engine with 100k miles on it, all the OEM lifters were dished, one so bad it was starting to wear through the bottom of the lifter ... car ran fine, and didn't even make noise. It was well maintained and I knew the previous (original) owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhein View Post
I don't know. The extra cost for a HR vs HFT is probably about $1500 more for the cam, lifters, rockers and valley pan. If you have a HFT failure and you're able to identify that before the motor is in the car that will still cost you more than $1500. Way, way more than that if it's back in the car. And, sure, if you do all the work yourself, it won't be as much money but a lot of extra work. And, if you did a HFT and let's say it failed during break in, would you feel comfortable, redoing it with another HFT, or would you be more likely to go HR? All of those factors are probably why Butler and other builders won't do HFTs anymore.