View Single Post
Old 02-17-2024, 05:21 AM

My attitude towards a daily commuter car has evolved over the past ten years or so. When I was 23, I bought a 2011 Camaro SS brand new that over its lifespan was pretty much a show car that I daily drove. It was probably the biggest mistake of my life that I wish I could take back, since I prioritized getting that over school or saving money. The amount of time I would spend fighting aging and the elements by detailing it; waxing it; replacing aged parts; etc. was time and money-consuming since it was unfortunately stored outdoors for most of its life until around 2018 or so when I finally put it in a local storage unit and retired it from daily use. I sold it in 2019 and ended up with my '79 Trans Am in 2020, which is also stored indoors in the same local facility (I can literally walk there).

One of my biggest financial setbacks last year was getting hit and run on my way home from visiting my friend in Orlando. My 2012 Versa hatchback that I inherited from my mother when she retired from her job and could no longer walk due to mobility issues was totaled and I didn't have collision insurance on it because its was virtually worthless and in poor cosmetic shape, anyhow. The car ran well, had cold AC, and decent storage space and gas mileage and I maintained it mechanically. It was a piece of chit on the outside, which is honestly rather liberating; but the point is I didn't have a car payment. Until I did. I now own a 2017 Chevy Spark that I got from HGreg for 8k. 69k miles, manual trans, roll-up windows; but it has AC and a decent radio and I spend only $20-25 every two weeks in gas. It's all I need. I'm so upset to be stuck in a car payment again since I didn't have the savings to pay for it in full; and for awhile I was looking for an older Corolla or something but the car market is crap here in Miami.

Point is, for a commuter car I don't think I'll ever buy new again. It's just too much of a stupid decision from a financial standpoint, especially with today's ridiculous interest rates and the prices of cars from the start. The average car payment now is just shy of $700; and terms are offered now well past 72 months which is absurd. Living in a city where image is of the utmost importance and people jeopardize their finances just to keep up with the Jones' with their C-Class or Suburban they can't afford to impress a bunch of people they don't even know or like; while renting a 600 square foot efficiency, it's very liberating to not give a crap about being seen in my little Spark.

Point is, get something used (which you plan to to do, so that's good) - at least 4 or 5 years old, that way the previous owner/owners paid most, if not all of the depreciation so you don't have to. Anything under 80k miles still has a ton of life left with modern build standards. We all wax longingly about how our old Ponchos were "made better," but truth is, they weren't. Lol My '79 Trans Am had a life expectancy of around 100k miles before an engine rebuild would be needed. My Versa had 130k miles and I only had to replace the ignition coil packs on it, and so far my Spark hasn't given me any issues. You save money, and it also opens your options up more going used.

I honestly wouldn't even spend your entire 50-55k. Yeah, you can, but it's a commuter car that's going to get wear and tear and continue to depreciate. Point is, you don't NEED to. I don't see a car named in your signature, but your username makes me assume you got a '65 Grand Prix? Well, you got an old Pontiac that is cooler than 95% of the new cars on the road, and yeah; she doesn't get to come out every day, or even half the year, but when she does, it's sweet and enjoyable. Having a commuter car that isn't exciting just makes you enjoy your classic all the more when you take her out. As well, having a commuter car that is not exciting SAVES YOU MONEY. I'd honestly spend maybe 25k tops (which can get you something very reliable) and then do something else with the rest of the money; maybe a nice vacation, savings, or home renovations or whatever.

Last edited by nUcLeArEnVoY; 02-17-2024 at 05:35 AM.