View Single Post
Old 03-03-2024, 04:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Replacing the steering rag joint

So, I replaced my dodgy looking and somewhat oil soaked rag joint with a replacement from our sponsor. I followed the factory shop manual procedure which involves unbolting the steering gear and swapping it over. There was no mention of marking things and the splined gear does appear to be self-indexing with a flat spot at a certain point. However, when I got it all installed my steering wheel is no longer centred.

What do you all think? Is there maybe a range of a tooth or two where you can still bolt it together "off index"? Or do you think it is maybe a matter of the two rag joints having different index because of either wear in the old or the new being, you know, "new parts these days" quality?

Basically, do you think I should try to take apart and reindex or just move the tie rod ends to accomodate the "new centre"? Any good way to tell for sure?

Sam

Sam Agnew

Where you come from is gone; where you thought you were going to, weren't never there; and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.
Ministry - Jesus Built My Hotrod