View Single Post
Old 04-01-2024, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by george kujanski View Post
Since you have a lot of parts installed, what is the current state of the engine?
It's a roller at this point. The engine itself is still under the hood & the car's been in storage for a few years.
  • The accessory box (oil pump, distributor, fuel pump) was removed. I believe it's made from cast alum. Previous owner cranked the oil sending unit on too tight, resulting in a tiny crack in the cast alum causing an oil spray when +1800rpms. I subsequently had a new accessory box rebuild out of mine & a donor box.
  • The previous owner also must've either installed the dipstick tube incorrectly ( top-down instead of pan-up), because the tip of the dipstick (which I believe is the correct 13"-ish length) doesn't touch oil even with plenty of oil in the engine.
  • Radiator was in poor condition. Got a super-good deal on a new polished alum radiator, so that needs installation + new hoses.
  • AFAIK, the Qjet carb is good as is the fuel pump.
  • Just to be on the safe-side, I purchased a rebuilt H2O pump as I've never owned a car pre-1990 that didn't have need to have it replaced & was installing a new radiator/hoses, anyway.
  • Drain the fuel tank & get a 2nd mortgage on my house to refill it.
  • Inspect/replace fuel lines & hoses (the metal fuel lines are probably good).
  • Brake inspection (manual drums all corners). Would consider front disc upgrade but, if she don't move, she has no need to slow down. So that's down the road.
  • Obvious tune-up with new plugs & points in the distributor or willing to upgrade to electronic. There's even a magneto for sale on eb*y that, in concept, fascinates me but I don't know enough about that technology to believe it'd be better.
  • New front grills installed & decent bumper bolted back on. Trim pieces in my garage to be reattached.

QUOTE=george kujanski;6495504]Where are you located?[/QUOTE]

Joliet, Illinois (40 miles SE of Chicago). I'd really get this done by someone with brains & integrity.