View Single Post
Old 04-11-2024, 01:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLMounce View Post
The problem is they aren't made to a quality standard anymore. You can't go down to the part store and pick up something that is going to be remotely reliable even in a mild application anymore.

In order for you to accomplish what you did with your mechanical pump, you had to purchase one that is close to $300.00 bucks, then add much larger fuel lines and you still claim that on your combo it occasionally cuts out.

A genuine TI Automotive Walbro 255lph pump will fuel up to around 630 hp in a carbureted application and costs about $120 bucks and will last for a decade or so, if not longer.

That makes the adaptation of an in-tank electric pump nearly a wash on a cost basis. You save a bit on the pump, still have to buy the fuel lines and regulator, but you need to either mod your original tank or buy a new one. We're no longer talking about having to spend $1000.00 more to do it, it's more like $200.00 more.
..." or at least they were before the china made stuff." There are still some good mech pumps, carter, holley, edlebrock.

When I bought the robbmc pump it wasnt $300, closer to $225 10+ years ago. I bought the 1/2" fuel when restoring the car so would have had to buy new lines anyways. Yes it does cut out occasionally but at almost flat 11's... will click off 11.4-11.5 all day long with no issues & the pump isnt turned up all the way, thats pretty good for a mech pump IMO... hence the statement that only really fast cars "need" E-pumps.

Im considering an intank pump in the future, but its definitely not a wash, the tanksinc set up with baffled tank is over $600 with a pump and thats with the crappy sender depending where you buy from, the good sender is another ~$100, plus a regulator & required return lines & electrical relay/wiring. Still close to $1000 to do that. And I can sell the robbmc pump & pickup for close to $300 to recoup most of that investment...

Not sure why there's a problem with saying the average street car does not need a E-pump, this is the street section after all and Id wager at least 90% or more use mech pumps.