View Single Post
Old 04-11-2024, 01:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78w72 View Post
..." or at least they were before the china made stuff." There are still some good mech pumps, carter, holley, edlebrock.

When I bought the robbmc pump it wasnt $300, closer to $225 10+ years ago. I bought the 1/2" fuel when restoring the car so would have had to buy new lines anyways. Yes it does cut out occasionally but at almost flat 11's... will click off 11.4-11.5 all day long with no issues & the pump isnt turned up all the way, thats pretty good for a mech pump IMO... hence the statement that only really fast cars "need" E-pumps.

Im considering an intank pump in the future, but its definitely not a wash, the tanksinc set up with baffled tank is over $600 with a pump and thats with the crappy sender depending where you buy from, the good sender is another ~$100, plus a regulator & required return lines & electrical relay/wiring. Still close to $1000 to do that. And I can sell the robbmc pump & pickup for close to $300 to recoup most of that investment...

Not sure why there's a problem with saying the average street car does not need a E-pump, this is the street section after all and Id wager at least 90% or more use mech pumps.
Honestly, have you seen the quality of Holley and Edelbrock stuff lately? I really doubt that their mechanical pumps are much better.

And yeah my point was that you're going to have to do the lines and everything anyhow. Not that the whole thing isn't expensive, but doing a robbmc pump, 1/2 lines and sender etc is also going to be quite a bit more expensive. I guess for me personally, I'll pay a couple hundred more to include a new tank in that equation and know that my fuel system is rock solid.

I'd also like to point out that the OP's own cost analysis put the difference at about $250.00 and included the tanks inc tank.

Another point I'd like to make about the street section is that many of those engines here are now 450-500 hp street engine. Almost everyone rolls around with a 460+cid engine with modern or modernized components that have pushed average power well above what these cars left the factory with. Nobody here is telling the guy with a stockish 350 that they need this type of fuel system...though it's not going to hurt them either.