View Single Post
Old 04-22-2024, 01:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulas View Post
on cars that originally had points they also had a wire providing full batt voltage from starter solenoid during cranking, that's what did my unilite in during a compression test...
...it would be easy for me to claim mallory unilite is junk, my installation was junk
Yeah, GM kept that a complete secret. Who would have ever guessed that there was a resistor bypass wire? Certainly not an outside company designing products to be used on GM products. (Moreover, with the starter engaged, battery voltage should be reduced due to the heavy current/amperage demand of the starter motor.)

No wonder Mallory didn't protect their module from battery voltage. They didn't know that battery voltage would ever, ever, ever be applied to the power input of the module. And besides, then they can advertise and profit from a separate "protection" module to be used with their ignition module.

OTOH, the 4-pin HEI module is protected to 17+ volts, (at least for short-term use) 'cause that's what a GM alternator can produce when full-fielded. Kinda like GM was thinking ahead, had proper engineers, and cared about reliability.

Last edited by Schurkey; 04-22-2024 at 01:54 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Schurkey For This Useful Post: