View Single Post
Old 04-26-2024, 04:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah Bill but you also found springs that only had 80 lbs. on the seats. I wouldn't call that a cam and lifter failure, that was just the result.

What likely happened, and I posted in your thread about this, because I tore down a pontiac engine with a similar issue that had the same spring pressures you found, is those weak springs were causing all kinds of ugly harmonics, valve seat bouncing and not really controlling things well at all. Couple that with what ever lash you dialed in with the lifters there would have been all kinds of lifter bounce and other weird things going on. Not good for camshaft life at all and will eventually cause wear and tear.
The engine I tore down only had a few thousand miles on it which is basically nothing, and it was already eating at the retainers and locks pretty severely as the springs rotated under the retainers. That's just the first sign of springs not doing their job and it leads to other issues that eventually turn catastrophic. You're lucky it was just a cam that went flat and not a dropped valve.

Unfortunately that thread was closed over some chest beating before you really got any chance to explain much more and possibly put a lid on it. Well maybe I shouldn't say that, after all the thread was 2 years old before all that got out of hand but that part is pretty damn funny though LOL

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE

Last edited by Formulajones; 04-26-2024 at 04:41 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Formulajones For This Useful Post: