View Single Post
Old 04-29-2024, 04:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamo View Post
So would using a set of .5” taller upper and .5” taller lower ball joints in the factory an arms in my 69 GTO be a good idea even if it’s just a street/ strip 500hp car. I was thinking of going with Afco low friction ones and figured I would get the taller upper and lower while I was buying new ones.
I would not do that for use in factory arms. Depending on the car's usage, it's ride height and how stiff the springs are, you can put the ball joints into bind. You either tear the joints out of their mounts, bend the arms, or in severe situations, snap off the ball joint stud. None of that is a happy day when the car is in motion.

If you are keeping your factory arms, stick with the .5" tall upper ball joint only and focus your improvements via the alignment.

When people say street/strip car, that typically means drag raced. For a car that is mostly cruised around town and then is taken to the drag strip, the tall ball joints are probably pointless. If you are replacing ball joints anyway, the tall upper isn't going to hurt you, so I would throw that in there as part of your suspension maintenance.

I'll reiterate what I usually tell people. You won't feel the .5" tall ball joint in factory arms when leisurely driving around town or doing light to light or drag race stuff. You start to feel it as additional grip in faster sweeping corners, like you may see while doing some canyon runs etc. If you don't drive your car that way, there's no need for them.