View Single Post
Old 05-02-2024, 09:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow1098 View Post
Soooo this is coming about because I had another fun track night with a couple 118-119 mph passes and through the finish line slowing down felt alittle tough. I had been running my stock rotors with entry level hawk street hawk pads for about the last 8 years and I’m thinking some new rotors and hawk pads would help slowing her down at the track and on the street as I do quite a few high speed passes there also….(shhh dont tell anyone)…without going full blown new big brake kit and prop valves and master cylinders and the whole deal.

Which Hawk pads would you recommend? The HPS, HP plus, the ceramic? I would prefer not to get a ton of brake dust and noise as this is mostly a street car but do go to the track a good bit. And if you have a link to buy that would be wonderful! Tired of google searching the wrong thing all the dam time..

Also….which stock replacement rotors can I use also with a link to buy maybe 0? Don’t care about the drilled or slotted deal just some new “better” replacements would be great!

Thank you guys! Google sucks! You’re so much better!
I use the Hawk HPS pads on a 72 firebird that runs low 11s at 120-123mph, ive posted about them before but heres the jist of my experience with them-

I have the HPS pads on powerstop slotted rotors bought from summit and not much more expensive than OEM type rotors, I used cast iron engine paint on them to stop rust & look better, works great. I have stock drums in the rear, this car stops amazingly well for the combo, I can make the 1st turn off at the end of the track without too much effort on the pedal but usually go to the 2nd just to be easier on the brakes. Stops just as good on the street in all conditions, no heat up required and the pads have very little brake dust, just a very light tan haze after hard use that wipes off with a dry rag, on the street its almost non existent. Very happy with the pads & rotors.

I have 2 other 2nd gen cars, a 78 TA 4 speed with a mild 406, runs mid 13s at 103+mph, that car is all OEM type brakes but good brand like raybestos in new condition, even at 103 mph I have to push the pedal very hard to make the 2nd turn off but usually go to the 3rd. Other car is a 1981 turbo TA with 4 wheel disc but OEM pads/rotors, it runs mid 14's at 98-99mph, with firm pedal it will make the 1st turn off but usually go to the 2nd.

What I have found is the hawk pads make a huge difference in braking that will easily stop a 120+mph car by the 1st or 2nd turn off vs OEM type brakes on much slower cars taking a lot more effort to stop. I have 2 new sets of the Hawk pads so can get the part# if needed.