View Single Post
Old 07-29-2014, 06:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes Troy, they do.....................

I was considering ordering the PY part however before I did I decided I would try repairing it myself with some stuff I had lying around. Needless to say my fix worked so I never ordered the PY part.

If your not able to fabricate up your own rubber replacement mount for the carrier bearing the PY carrier assembly is a really good alternative and the least expensive way to repair and save your 2 piece driveshaft.

I took a sidewall out of a truck tire and replaced the rubber with that, It should outlast the car, and the price was right, free. Took a little welding and brainstorming, but I should have no further problems. The rubber that Holden used is pretty soft and thin. No press required, PY has a you tube video that shows how to take it apart with a vise and a hammer. The bearing is a standard part # that my local bearing supply had in stock.

Anyone that has had the driveshaft out of a new GTO I can't believe how small diameter the tubing is. The wimpy U joints look like the kind that are used in a PTO shaft, they're really small considering the powerplant in front of them. The rubber biscuit isolators on either end of the shaft are a problem too, especially the cars with stick shifts that are driven hard. Mine are starting to wear out, but I have an automatic so there is less strain than someone that hammers on a stick shift car.

The only other alternative is a one piece aftermarket driveshaft for around $650. The one piece also addresses the rubber isolators (similar to steering rag joints) on either end of the shaft and eliminates them to be more like a conventional driveline that we're more accustomed to.
1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Last edited by Sirrotica; 07-29-2014 at 07:01 PM.