View Single Post
Old 09-26-2021, 07:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 1970 valve cover wire holder? (not spark plug)

I pulled some parts of of a 1970 Lemans on Friday;
other than replacement spark plug wires, and a rotor and cap, this thing looked to be painfully original under hood (it even had vintage green ring Delco R45S plugs there!!)

I was able to (for only the second time in my lifetime) get a full set of spark plug wire holders off this engine.

Now I have several bits soaking to be properly cleaned later, but maybe someone can enlighten me about something I don't recall ever seeing before;

Question:

Did any 1970 engine use a (twelve gauge maybe) wire holder that was held in place at the rear outer drivers side valve cover bolt?

I ask because I don't recall ever reading this, or coming across this, but I am sure this is what I took off of this engine.
If the consensus is that this was never used, I will just assume it was placed there some time in the last fifty years.

This engine also had the TCS switch fully hooked up, and all there;
unlike the ebay listings which show a square foam cover for the vent, this one used a short length of hose with a foam something-or-other in the end of it!?

Here's the switch with full lengths vacuum hoses on each end (the carb side snapped before I got back home, it is held toegther with masking tape at the moment) - and the wire was cut were it attaches to the engine bay loom by the throttle bracket.

I wasn't able to quite focus on the foam inside the short length of hose here, but the brownish out of focus stuff IS foam.

I have only come across a couple of these switches in my lifetime, and they were NEVER hooked up!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0611s.jpg
Views:	713
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	573869   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0612s.jpg
Views:	758
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	573870  

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)

Last edited by unruhjonny; 09-26-2021 at 08:06 PM.