View Single Post
Old 03-06-2024, 03:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWYSTR455 View Post
The largest port size on the MC almost always goes to the rear, regardless of what size fitting or line you plug into it. That's how I've always been able to tell, but maybe that's not always the case?

Also, I have been told that the largest reservoir always feeds the front brakes.

Many 'universal' masters are the same front/rear, so those you can plumb either way.

Should be able to search the original service manual for an Astro/Safari, and find out for sure. But if it had drum rear, then most likely it would use whichever the smaller reservoir is.

That thought crossed my mind as well. The master cylinder if it's setup specifically for a disc/drum configuration my be part of the problem. Pressure and fluid volume requirements are much different with a drum brake than a disc brake. Typically the drum requires more volume, which is why you see the larger lines. If you're sending a wall of fluid to a disc caliper, especially under the types of pressure a hydroboost creates, that may cause the issue that the OP is seeing.