View Single Post
Old 09-01-2021, 08:14 AM

Good Morning,

Yes, Ron had the engine. He purchased it 40 years from a Pontiac racer. . He installed it in a 71 Trans AM and pulled it out in 2000 when that car was restored and the orginal engine was re-installed. The top of the motor was sold off, but Ron keep the block. The Block has all SD Internal. Ron said it was an amazing motor.

Luck is how I found it. I ran an ad in Smoke Signals for 3 years. I post on this forum many years ago, Every WM motor that came up for sale, (there were not many) I would call to get the vin number. I spoke when many Pontiac Part sellers. NO LUCK

2 years ago at the TA Nats Early in the morning, I pulled my 72 up to Ron's Vendor spot to show him the car. He asked me about the cars history. I told him when I got it is was missing the orginal motor, seats, and dash bezel.. The person whom I bought the car from said the car had later seats, a 400 motor and was recently repainted when he purchaced it in 11/83. I also told Ron the car was from the South, North Carolina, Alabama area.

After hearing the car history, Ron said he may have the Motor. He had purchased a motor that has come out of a Blue 72 with an white interior in the early 80s . He took a picture on my vin and said he would check. Ron Stated "I not saying I have it, but the odds are good I do."

Fast Forward 2 years later, It is Friday and I have just arrived at Norwalk for the Ames Show Swao meet and Ron, approaches me and said he has my engine block. Ron acknoldged that he has known for more than a year he had it, but with Covid, No shows, and life in general time got away. He wanted to tell me in person. I verbal agreed to purchase block, Photos would be sent and Ron would bring to TA NATS.

Ron said the history of my car triggered in him mind that he may have the block, He remembered that the original owner had given up on the Blue 72 and had pulled the engine, and seats,. This made him believe he had the motor.

Ron is going to provide names and contact inforamtion about the Pontiac Racer and person who purcahsed the car when the original owner gave up on it.

Ron is not sure why he never sold the block, but now believes it was fate,

I am very lucky, thanks to all who helped along the way.

1972 Trans Am Blue 4sp
1973 Grand Prix Blue 400/Auto/Bench
1974 Trans Am Blue 400/Auto
1979 Trans Am Brown 301/Auto