View Single Post
Old 10-20-2021, 01:33 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Question Coil Pack Question

I have the single block unit coil with six pairs of terminals. Mgarblik, is Magnavox what GM used from the assembly line or is that just a generic term for the style of it?
I've had four other 88-90 LeSabres with the 3800 and never had a coil pack or ignition fail. Nor a crank sensor or cam sensor as far as that goes. I drove those four cars for approximately 170K miles combined.
I've driven this current LeSabre about 34K since I took ownership.

I was wondering if I could interchange one of those newer style coil packs from the 1992-1999 series 3800 on my '89. Reason being, they are more common in salvage yards and my favs, the 88-91 style Buicks are almost non existant.

When I was transfering my coil pack from mod to mod today, I inadvertantly bent one of the spades on the bottom of the coil to almost 90 degrees off the base of the coil. It was a momentary lapse of concentration, as I know how important it is to avoid bending these any more than nessassary. Well I examined it, and it looks like it started to fracture the metal where it bended, dammit.
I very carefully pushed the wire on the spade about 3/4 of the way. I think if it is put on there fully seated, it will very likely break the next time it has to be removed. Which will render the coil junk. So I hope I can find a used one in a salvage yard before I need to swap the module again.
I know what to look for when testing with an ohmeter so I'm not to worried about getting a bad one from the salvage yard. Especially if it is dirt cheap.
I can take a whole IGN Module-Coil assembly if I find one of those cars. Plus bundle it with a MAF, IAC and maybe a TPS from the same vehicle.

Hope I can be so fortunate as to find one.