View Single Post
Old 10-30-2021, 06:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Since I discovered the engine would start and run with the 'original' C3I module in place, I have not yet installed the new module/coilpack that I ordered from RockAuto.
I thought I'd run the old module set-up for a week or two to give me some confidence in it, that I can have it handy for a reliable back-up in the future.
The main reason I ordered a new coilpack was because I inedverdantly bent one of the primary tabs excessively when I was mating it to the old module to try. It appeared that there might be a stress crack from doing that on the tab where the crease is. I figure that tab is probably going to break off next time I try to disconnect, or reconnect it to another module, so there isn't going to be a next time. I slid the wire terminal on the questionable tab (while holding my breath) about 75% of a complete connection. It's all together and operates the way it's supposed to.

I wasn't too thrilled with the new coilpack that came from RockAuto. Only because the primary tabs on it look like they will not endure more than 2-3 connection cycles before they stress crack. At least I know I have to be extra careful in not bending them any more than nessasary. The brand I got is a WVE.
The new module is a United Automotive. It doesn't have the cooling vanes cast into the body like my two previous units, which I'm kind of bummed about. Also the wire connecters that are in series for one side of the coil were spaced too far apart to fit comfortably on the coil tabs. I got them on there but they are trying to push the two tabs apart because of the tension in the wire.

The main reason I selected those two brands was a combination of best warantee for the price. Plus I think they are both manufactured in the U.S.A.