View Single Post
Old 11-25-2016, 09:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by njsteve View Post
I have a request for SD455 owners out there who have (as far as they know) the original starter for their car. What is the part number and the date code on your 1108436 starter?

As you may know I just had my 19,000 mile Formula in the Vintage Certification judging and I received a zero point score for the starter because it had a date code of "1B11" which would be February 1971, more than two years before the car. None of the prior owners ever replaced the starter. At the time of the judging I had no idea that the starter date was that far away from he car build date, otherwise I would have checked on that issue beforehand.

I asked Frank.G to check his starter on his unrestored survivor SD T/A and low and behold his original starter has the same exact date as mine! 1B11. His car was shipped 20 days before mine (6/29/73 versus 7/19/71)

Please crawl under your cars when you get a chance (this gives you an excuse to get away from all the annoying relatives in your house for Thanksgiving right now) .

Here's a photo of my starter and Frank.G's starter.

I'm sure I'm going to ruffle some guys feathers here with what I am about to say but Ive said it before and will continue to do so.
car show judges that say something is absolutely wrong (excluding something so obvious it couldn't be) are a joke. I have seen it several times where a guy has a car he bought new and knows something hasn't been changed and some joker of a judge is counting him off for it. an example of my own is years ago some know it alls were trying to tell me that my ra 4 bird had at least one head changed because it had one with the full part # and the other one with just the 722. funny that the one in question was bought new by a guy in my neighborhood and I have known the car since day one. he swore it had never been changed and he was an amature photographer and took a lot of pics of the car the day he brought it home just a few miles from the dealership. I tried to tell them this and that my other ra 4 bird was the same way. I had no explanation as to why but knew it was too coincidental that both were that way. well as time went it became a known fact that they did come that way. what they should do is start counting off points for over restored cars.