View Single Post
Old 03-01-2021, 07:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default I gotta vent, so here goes.

Yesterday, I took apart the rear wheel that wouldn't balance. 40 bolts, all taken off by hand, in stages.

I spun the wheel 180 degrees on the tire and reassembled....all 40 bolts, by hand, in stages. To the balancer I went.

Hold the phone. That cant be right, can it? 9.25....oz???

Ive had 22-inch truck wheels that took less weight than that!

It certainly explains the machines inability to register last week...must have been over 10oz.....but cmon now. I'm annoyed that a wheel and tire that's going to see a lot of wheel speed is going to have to try to hang on to 9.25 oz. There is no way I'm sticking that much weight on here.

Since Im here I break the wheel down again. It cant get much worse. 40 bolts all taken off, by hand, in stages.

I spin the wheel only 90 degrees this time and reassemble...all 40 bolts, by hand, in stages. To the balancer I went.

Not good enough.

Which piece is causing this to be so far out of shape? The wheel? The rings? All 3 together? The tire?? Let me try to narrow it down.

40 bolts, all taken off with an impact gun this time, in stages (because I'm thoroughly annoyed annoyed and my patience has run out - get it, runout?). To the balancer I went.

Wheel only.

(hint - it ain't the wheel!)

Add in a beadlock. Spin.

(hint - it aint this beadlock)

Add in the other beadlock. Spin.

(hint - it aint this beadlock either!)

Anyone want to venture a guess where the blame lies? If you said tire, you get a gold star! Well done!

Disclaimer - I'm not blaming M/T for what is potentially a slightly our of round tire. Melting off a few 16ths will probably get this back in line just fine. Heck, with solid motor mounts and solid body mounts its not like I'll ever feel an out of balance situation anyway but always best to get it "right" prior to letting nature take its course.

Upon disassembly, there is a very faded green dot on the tire bead...not on the sidewall as is typical, but on the bead....obviously didn't see it the first time....presumably a run-out dot? This pic makes it a look a lot better than it is, trust me.

I was too annoyed to stick it all back together. I guess I'll find out next week. I'll mount that portion of the tire l opposite the stem and see how it goes.

Geeze, 6oz is looking pretty good right now.

Who needs nice and pretty, when you can have mean and nasty?
KRE Aluminum headed 463CID 73 LeMans. Used to run 10.6x @ 124.55. 3700lbs
So much for 2020...shootin for 9s in 2021...and in 2022 apparently.....looks like 2023 as well.
>>My 73 Build thread