View Single Post
Old 03-29-2021, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbd73 View Post
So, if it is electrolysis, what can I do so that I don't have to disconnect the battery all the time?

Any thoughts?
It looks like you have an electric fan mounted to the radiator. If there is some electrical leakage from the positive side through the fan or fan thermostat into the radiator, and the radiator is not electrically bonded to the engine, then I could see this happening. Is the radiator in rubber mounts that electrically insulate it from the chassis? What is the electrical path from the fan and thermostat and whatever other fan controls you have back to ground? Do you have the ground straps from the engine to body installed?

You are looking for something in contact with the coolant that is at a different voltage than something else in contact with the coolant. If you have a multimeter, measure the DC voltage from the radiator to the engine block with the battery connected. It needs to be very close to zero.

A wire from the radiator to the engine may solve it, but if there is leakage current from the fan system, your battery may run down while the car is sitting.