View Single Post
Old 09-09-2005, 08:49 PM

Exclamation hideaway module update

IMPORTANT INFORMATION !!!!!!!!
ELECTRIC HIDEAWAY CONVERSIONS MUST READ!!!!
First of all let me appologize for not answering the many people who contacted me concerning my hideaway module, here's why.
The module I built was very limited, meaning the lites are on or off and the doors are either up or down which was not good enough, I'll explain later.
On a trip to the salvage yard I was determined to see what operates the chrysler door motor. After completely destroying the dash of a 1988 lebaron I found it! 1989 AND BELOW USE A HEADLITE DOOR MODULE SEPERATE OF THE CARS MAIN COMPUTERS. It is located in the center of the dash where a speaker would normally be. Pry up the top dash panel and look for the coffin shaped box about 7" X 3.5".This is a complete stand alone unit that does it all and is able to handle high current.It has a 10 wire connector on it. This module is amazing.when you first turn to the headlite position, doors go down lites come on; return to parking lite position and the doors stay down, headlites go out; return to off postion all lites off doors up.So, if you wanted to ride around with doors down and headlites off you can. For this operation and all that follow you must use the lebaron headlite switch, which will fit with little modification. Here's the kicker, if you use the lebaron beam selector switch (which must be remote mounted,won't work in floor you can find it on the side of steering column), with the headlite switch in the off position---one press of the beam selector switch and the headlite doors will cycle themselves. They will go down and sit for 2 seconds and then go back up: if you press and hold the beam selector swt. the doors will go down and stay there untill you release it again at that point they close. THIS IS AWSOME! in other words you can make them blink.Okay, stay with me here, if you find a car equipped with the headlite delay system, there is a big siver relay mounted above the glove box that you must use in conjunction with the module to do this. This feature is the best of all---if you turn the ignition off before the headlites off, the doors will stay down with the lites on for 60 seconds, after that, the lites go off and the doors go up automaticly,, very cool! OTHER OPTIONS:you can use the gto headlite switch but you will only be able to "headlites on doors down, headlites off doors up". Now if you use the lebaron headlite switch and the gto dimmer swt. you will have all of the neat above mention features except delay but it will act different---press dimmer once, doors go down and stay, press again they will go back up. IF you press it quickly TWICE the doors will cycle themselves(blink) down for 2 seconds then back up. Finally, I think that about covers it, except wiring unit up, which I will try to post when I'm back online tomorrow nite.

Electric hideaway conversion footnote:
After several months of trying perfect this system, I know some of you may shutter to think of doing this but, if you remove a large section of metal from the middle of the hideaway door (behind the grill piece) the doors work way smoother and the motor has more contol. The doors have some serious weight and removing it made all the different in the world on mine. If your thinking on useing springs by the time you put a spring on strong enough to assist in holding up the doors it really puts a bind on the plastic mechanism in the door motor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	module.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	26720  

76 50th annv. T/A

Last edited by cejay825; 09-09-2005 at 11:13 PM.