View Single Post
Old 08-01-2020, 04:13 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default I think we all know what would happen if he just pulled the one head......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Meyer View Post
Just pull the head. Why pull the whole motor? As AG said unbolt the manifold from the head and leave it attached to the exhaust pipe.
The engine would run fine for week or so and then another valve would stick and he'd have to do the whole thing over again.

I did that once about forty years ago when a single factory hydraulic lifter on a 1971 GP 400 came apart. Tore it down in the car and just swapped out the single lifter.

Ran good for two days and then another lifter popped its' top. The second time we tore it down it got fifteen MORE new lifters, new timing chain, new gears and a waterpump. Probably belts and hoses and a thermostat, too.

We drove that GP around 60k over the next few years and never did anything else to it except change oil and spark plugs and brake pads.

One and done.

Pull the engine, fix EVERYTHING you can think of and then put it back in and have some fun.

Lots of work - YES.
Worth the 'extra' to just be finished with it - YES

And to answer the OP's question: I have only ever had ONE Turbo 400 that didn't leak. It didn't have any transmission fluid in it yet.........

When you're lucky, they just seep around the seals a bit. When you're not, they dump the fluid when they sit.

Good luck!