View Single Post
Old 06-10-2021, 12:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiacmark View Post
To be clear, I am not afraid of the align hone and I know the difference between it and align boring. It is another $300 that I wasn't budgeting for. Budget and reliability don't usually go together, lol.. steve25 makes a good point about checking the bearings. I haven't pulled the crank out of either short block yet. The 69 had great oil pressure, that I can state. Both blocks don't show any significant signs of corrosion. I suppose their could have been core shift when cast, but I don't think .030 over would be a concern on either block.
Mark, all the machine shop is attempting to do is alleviate their liability. They are attempting to cover all their bases. 6.9/7.3 IDI cylinder barrels are incredibly thick ( nearly 3/8 of an inch) but I have seen these cylinder barrels “eaten” through due to coolant cavitation and corrosion to the point where the block wasn’t salvageable. Yes, it’s $300 you didn’t plan to spend but it will give you a block that you CAN have confidence in.

Dr. Thomas Sowell