View Single Post
Old 06-14-2021, 10:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Does your buddy really understand what's involved with running a solid roller camshaft, the expense, and the issues that have arose using them on the street long term?

To me, and from my experience doing this, that's just as dicey, if not more dicey than running any hydraulic roller profile or worrying about any hydraulic flat tappet camshaft deal.

Jay explains very well some of the finer details, and you're going to have to talk to the cam manufacture you choose for a proper spring package to work with the heavy valvetrain in a Pontiac, and hopefully come away with something that doesn't kill the lifters long term. That's always been an issue with these things. As Jay explains, maybe with a soft lobe profile and a tight lash setup you could get away with it. But that's a lot of expense out of pocket to go this route and then start cutting off it's potential to make it live on the street long term. Personally I reserve the solid rollers for all out performance minded people that don't mind a little maintenance. For your buddy that has what sounds like a mostly stock setup, it wouldn't be my recommendation.

Either run a hydraulic roller and forget about the very few stories you hear of hydraulic roller problems. However that's still a big expense for a stockish engine.
I'd run a hydraulic flat tappet, with Rhoads and the lube face option, or go with a solid flat tappet, again with the lube face option.

I've been running one engine with a tight lash solid flat tappet, using Comps EDM lube option for the lifters and so far have 50,000 miles on that engine. The lash hasn't budged since break in. It's been a perfect setup.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE