View Single Post
Old 05-03-2022, 07:35 PM
Suspended

Mikes Reply:

To solve Vapor lock is to answer the million-dollar question. IMOP

Everything said in this post helps.

Band aids I was told, and I started off with the under-hood Temps. so hot it knocked you back with the radiant heat in your face.

A) check your fuel lines have no holes in it from a screw or something else.

B) I have a 1966 Pontiac Tri-Power Rochester Carbs. and they like 3-3.5 psi. only, low pressure. Install a Fuel Pressure gauge before the Carb. and a Radiator cap Gauge Helps.

C) Block off the Cross over between the Heads and the Intake Manifold, in my case the Fuel heats up under the center Carb. Add air induction, sealed Radiator to support and a 3-hole 180-degree F Thermostat. Use a Temp. actuated Clutch HD fan with Factory Shroud with 19" blades. I also made a phenolic under the Intake and over the Vally pan to keep the excess from under the Carbs to.

D) You could use some or any of the ideas presented in the other posts being offered, won't hurt. I am giving you the most important things to do first, that I would have done, if I knew better at the time, when I was experiencing Vapor lock, hot under hood temps. and overheating issues.

E) Use the Factory Shroud and HD truck type Temp. actuated Clutch Fan, seal the Radiator off. Install a Thermostat with the 3 holes drilled in it for bypass. I use 180 degrees in Florida.

F) Use Rec-90 Fuel with no Alcohol.

G) Make working Air Induction or Ram Air, for cool air sealed to the Pan to Carbs.

H) Make a Sidekick.

I) Use a high-pressure Radiator Cap to increase your boiling point of water and 50/50 Antifreeze in distilled water. Could use Water Wetter.

J) Extra Fan on one side, used as a pusher Fan.

K) Small HD aftermarket Starter with Torque.

L) I added a double-sided heat shield type Phenolic under my Intake manifold. This keeps the Heat from getting under all my Carbs., then I wrapped the bowls on each Carb.

M) I Wrap my Fuel lines and route the Fuel from the Tank, past the Elect. pump, that is lower than the Tank to start, to a bypass hose back to the Tank. I have the sock in the Fuel Tank to screen out Debrees then a filter before the pump Plus the next filter is up near the P.S in the Grill, attached to the Fuel Pressure Gauge.

N) I made an Aluminum Plate with Phenolics over and under to keep the Bowls from heating up, they are installed using the 2 front Bolts of each Carb. and under the Carb. Bowls.

O) Rebuild the Carbs. Offen and keep a good Tune-up on your Vehicle.

p) My 1966 Pontiac has all new AC parts and the AC heats up the Under-hood Temps. by 30 degrees "F". So, if I stop and go into the store, I leave my Hood open to release the Heat soak that develops the moment you turn off the key, that is where the water Wetter works to eliminate Heat soak.

Q) I Run dual HD Batt. with a Sudbury switch in the Trunk. I Run HD cables forward from the Trunk with no joints, if possible or through bolt with copper hardware and solder to complete the joint. I run an extra Fuse panel under the Hood attached to the inner wheel well for all the extra options that were added over the years, each fused on a separate circuit.

R) I have even wrapped the upper Radiator Hose.

S) I use a 4-core copper Radiator and an Oil, Power Steering and Trans. Cooler.

T) I Wrap my Spark Plug Ends to protect them from the Headers as well.

U) I Wrap my Headers in Header Wrap Cloth, and they are Ceramic Coated inside and out.

V) The Inside and under the Carpet is treated for Water Proofing and Heat Insulation Installed Behind the Vinal Interior Panels and over the metal Floor pans plus under the T- Tops in the Roof area. This is to Keep the Heat out and the cool in while using the AC.

W) I created Insulated T-Tops that keep the Sun out and there Insulated as well and covered with the same Ceiling Vinyl that I used when I did the Head-liner. This works well and anyone with T-Tops knows how hot it can get in the summer. Since I had mine Benched, I sealed the Metal to Glass with Black Silicone Sealant. My Rubber is all new throughout the Vehicle and the T-Tops don't leak.

X) The Water Pump gets the Divider Plate inside adjusted to a tight tolerance. See my other Posts for more if you need to. See John Wallace's Site for the way to deal with the inside of the Water Pump in early 1967 Pontiac Motors.

Y) I Run dual Fuel feed lines forward and join them before the Carb. For Extra Fuel volume.

Z) Photos of Mikes under hood, Blue Filter is a By-pass one, Ram Air, Phenolics, Pressure Gauge and Carb. Bowl Wrapps with Phenolics under each Bowl, Fuel line is wrapped in Hot areas, Phenolics between the Intake Manifold and Carb Flange.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0019 (1).JPG
Views:	203
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	590106   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0021 (1).JPG
Views:	166
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	590107   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0023 (1).JPG
Views:	165
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	590108   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0024.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	590109   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0038.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	590110  

Last edited by TRADERMIKE 2012; 05-03-2022 at 08:29 PM.