View Single Post
Old 10-21-2023, 10:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
They want to put in new glass and have only the car and the glass.Have nothing else.Tom n
I have installed rear glass on a 72 firebird & watched/helped a pro install the front on 3 2nd gens. The rear was pretty simple, it uses the tape type seal with added 3m window weld in a tube around the edges to ensure a water tight seal. basically just marked out the center with masking tape and made sure the spacers were installed along the bottom & laid it in.

The front was a little more involved, the installer made a "V" cut on the end of teh tube & when applied it made a ~1" tall bead of the 3m sealant, with the special primer applied to the glass & window channel it was just laid in place with the lower supports installed & nothing else was done besides a little trimming of the sealant that oozed through a couple spots inside.

If they have never installed front/rear glass before I suggest paying a pro to do it, its worth the minimal price to ensure a good leak free install & usually comes with a warranty for the work... or check with local body shops for who they use, the guy I use does work on the side & only charged $75 for the front (+ cost of glass) about 10-12 years ago, more recently it went up to $100 but he provides the sealant.

There are some youtube videos showing front/rear glass installs too if they want to see how its done before attempting themselves.