View Single Post
Old 11-02-2008, 12:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrebird68 View Post
Ironically, this week I had a headlight motor go bad in my 86 Fiero, so I got a refresher course in motor compatibility.

The motors in Fieros (and I believe Firebirds) switched from gen I design to gen II design in 1987. Easiest way to tell them apart is the gen I motors have a larger knob with fins on it. The gen II motor knob is smaller.

Internally, they're a lot different. The gen I motor has internal limit switches to stop the motor drive once the door is open or closed. They can be finicky. Gen I motors do not use a controller board, but use three relays to manage voltage to the motors.

Gen II motor stops when the controller board senses a current increase due to a stalled motor. IMHO it's a better design. As soon as I locate another gen II motor setup, I'll be converting the Fiero.
Bob found this out the hard way also
Have a couple of 87 GTs and when a friend bought an 86 that needed both headlights he came begging.
All wiring/relays and motors are different.
I havent checked yet to see if the 91 Bird that my neighbor has is same motors as my 87 P body.I think Regattas are also same.