View Single Post
Old 10-13-2021, 02:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese country GP View Post
Relining the drums is done by turning the drums on a lathe to remove the lining, then installing a new lining using cold & heat. It's a very involved process done in a machine shop. There is one person in the Chicago area I believe that does the process but I don't have his contact info. Maybe some one else can direct you to him. It's quite costly, last I heard it was approaching $400/drum.
Yes, there are at least 2 companies that reline the 8 lug drums and their 2 approaches are different. One uses some type of glue/sealer in addition to the press fit. The other company mechanically attaches the liners to the aluminum drum in addition to the press with some type of pinning process. In my case, the 62 Catalina drums I currently have were restored and relined by : J&G Brake Drum Relining and refurbishing, Mc Henry IL 815-276-2578 The PO of my car had them done as well as a set of 15" chrome 8-lug wheels. They are beautiful and work perfectly but I could never have afforded to do it after buying the car. The other source for relining I have not used : Larry Groskopf 815-735-4002. He uses the heat shrink process and the Locktite product. I would talk to them both and see what you think. Good luck with it. A nice set of 8-lugs are really great, the rest look good, performance not the best IMO.