Thread: This is my luck
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2021, 06:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandam1979 View Post
Does anyone in the south have a room dedicated to the a/c and heat and water tank so it’s not overhead? I live in Ohio so all are in the basement.
Most homes built on a slab in the Southern Plains, TX, & the SE have a "heater closet" in the front of the garage. Central heat & AC unit, occasionally with natural gas water heater next to it, or in separate water heater closet. Some newer homes down this way are now being built running the water supply through the attics along with supply & return AC ductwork. When the attic temps were near zero recently in Feb, many newer homes in TX ended up experiencing busted water pipes in the attic

Occasionally, one will run across a builder down here installing central heat & AC unit in the attic. The last few years have ran across a few retrofits of central heat & AC units into the attics of near 50 year old homes, mainly in starter sized homes. In every case, the millennial first time home owners thought it was a good idea to move the unit up into the attic. I'll never get that.