View Single Post
Old 02-03-2013, 03:27 AM
Suspended

Dennis , Rex here I have a few stories like your& some that really made me some money over the years. When I came out of the Navy in 77 I went to work back in the dealerships as what I did befroe I went in. I use to go to the junk yards all the time , but when I decided to go back to collage I needed extra money because I quit my job & let VA pay me. I srarted running the junk yards for real. I met & got in good with an owner of the biggest yard around. After buying a lot of stuff from him for a year or so he began to save items for me to buy that he knew I would want. One saturday I went to the yard & he said come with me. I didn't know if he was mad or what. But we went to his house, he lived on the prorerty at that time, so we went into his basement & showed me a few things that made my eyes drop. He showed me a Chrysler tri-power for a small block , a big block & a big block chevy. All COMPLETE carbs linkage air cleaners everything. Oh he showed me the last 2 items a duel quad for a buick nail head also complete with linkage & air cleaner & a 63 corvette dash showing 23K on it. I looked at him & said Don I'd love to have all that stuff but I don't think I brought enough money. He said if you keep buying from me the way you have(which I knew I would because it was helping me put myself through college) I'll make you a deal. He asked how much I had on me. I knew not to lie to him so I pulled all the money out of my pocket & showed him I had brought what I normally do which was $ 300.00 & some change. He looked at me & said I'll take the 300 & you can have all of it. I thought I was going to fall over. Now this guy was not dumb by any means & knew what this stuff was worth. But he helped me carry it to my truck & I went home that day with a smile. On the way home I though being saturday I'd stop at the speed shop of a friend of mine just to see if they were intrested before I took It to the swap meet the next sunday( 1 week away). Whan I got there they almost fell over for the chrysler & chevy tri-powers. Now I paid 300 for everything & now they were digging in the register & both there wallets to give me my asking price for the 3 of $ 1700.00. They finially got it all to me & away I wnt home with a smile. The following week I went to the swap meet at the ACC at Notra Dame IN. & the duel quad got parted out the air cleaner & corvette dash went to Corvette Central in IL. because the air cleaner is the same as the duel -quad for the 409 cars & well the dash is 63 vette. That went for another $ 450.00. Thn the quad intake went for another $100.00. So you see I had a great day going to the yard that weekend. Don & I traded for the next 15+ years, & he always had something good stashed away for me when I came down. OH, the money that I made from the swap meets put me through college & paid a lot of bills during that time. Don't really know why I stopped but If you or any one reading this may think this & some of the other stories I may pass on aren't true , you can always ask Barry Martin, we became friends about that same time & have staye friends since & he can tell you I've had a lot of intreating times with him & without him too. Most Know Barry Martin (Sonic Motors) Near Detriot MI. I know this was long but all the good stories take a few min's to tell. Barry use to come down to my part of the state every once in a while to buy & he to was never disappointed when he got over this way.