Thread: 455 Dyno Video
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2022, 09:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I haven’t been able to see what your talking about Larry? I watched it again to see it I missed something and it appeared while Nick was going back to the control room, the younger fella was standing in front of the engine with a timing light checking it, it is just not mentioned. Young guy was carrying the timing light for most of the episode. Looked like they were pretty good at changing the timing to me. I could miss it though, I do like to use fast forward. Lol

I would let them do to pulls on my engines anytime. Each to his own though.

Hope the owner got the carb to Nick before he has to pull it off the pump. If he didn’t get it done before today that ship probably sailed. I think dyno day for videos is often Saturday up there. I still think they could hit 400 HP if he worked at it a little more. Nick generally waits for the owner to be the for the last dyno pulls. I think that little voodoo cam is more cam than most give it credit for, it likely has a fair amount of power more left if they work at it more.

The actual seat timing of the 702 at .006 is 267 int, 276 exh, which is more than Lunati’s advertise numbers, plus it has a little more top end power from the way it is ground, it holds the valves open for another 4-5* than the specs indicates because of the cams has longer duration on the closing side than the opening side. It is really only a few degrees shorter on the intake closing than a 068. The 068 is a little bigger yet the way it’s lobes are spread out, but the 068 at .006” tappet is only in the lower 270s @.006”, I don’t know extactly the .006” numbers for the small Pontiac cams, but the much higher duration rating for the ,066, 067, and 068 come from specs at lower lifts.

FWIW, a 068 with 1.65 rockers would likely provide very similar performance to this small voodoo cam. That is a common combo. The 214,224 white box cams with bigger rockers will come close too. I have a very similar power output to this 455 in one of my cars. I have had 1.70s 60 e/t’s ft in a 4000 lb car with that combo. For sure the small cam combos leave a considerable amount of Hp from being tapped into, but they can also surprise you how well they run. I have done quite a few 455 Pontiacs almost set up similar to the dyno engine also, the cam being the main difference. Most common set up for me in 455s have actually been with the 96 heads, stock q jet and and RA manifolds, upper 9s compression. I still run one, we have probably built 8 of them. Even with some well thought out HFT and bigger sft and roller cams, using pump gas they kind of hit a wall at 450 hp with stock d ports and the RA manifolds.

Last edited by Jay S; 01-29-2022 at 10:06 AM.