View Single Post
Old 11-24-2021, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78w72 View Post
i recall hearing the "no street" thing for mono leafs was due to safety concerns... in an accident or other extreme situation they can break & let the rear end go free or sideways compared to multi leaf steel springs.

i was considering mono leafs for a car many years ago & thats what i was told by a few mechanics & racers regarding mono leafs on the street. but i know tons of guys use them on the street without any issues so could be one of those things where a company just makes the statement to cover their butts for IF it might happen.
I've cracked the main leaf of a multi-set three times, twice on the right side and once on the left. Always happened during cold weather in Ohio. The right side breaks came after installing a B&M Transpack kit in my younger, naive transmission knowledge days. The left side break happened when the flexplate cracked and pulled the converter out of the pump tangs in the transmission and it locked up. Wound up installing the HD spring sets used on the 1975 police edition Nova. (It was handy working for GM at the time)