View Single Post
Old 11-24-2021, 11:23 PM

It was early summer of 1988 I was driving my 69 GTO to work Iike always. It was about 6:00 in the morning as I passed through Haden Lake on 95 headed north. Back then there was a stop light on the highway at the edge of town. It was red so I coasted up and stopped alongside a car sitting in the right lane.
That car was a 1966 Chevy II and the moment I came to a stop the light turned green. He obviously had been watching me roll up as the instant the light changed he nailed the gas and side stepped the clutch. Boom! I was caught by surprise but, I'm always up for a race so I punched it too.
That Nova jumped about a car length ahead of me right off the bat. We stayed that way for bit and when he got to the top of second gear I shifted into second and that's when that old 400 really started pulling hard. Now I was gaining on him and by the time the Nova shifted into 3rd I had about 5 mph on him and I pulled past.
As I roared on by he grinned and raised his hand as to wave. But, then his eyes popped wide open and his jaw dropped. I knew then that he had seen the empty car trailer I was pulling. I shifted into 3rd and slowed down to the speed limit and went on in to work with a grin on my face.

But the best was yet to come. At lunch one of the crew says he had pulled up at the same light just before the race started and he saw the whole thing. He then recounted to the whole crew how I smoked that Chevy II while pulling my car trailer.
It still brings a smile to my face today