View Single Post
Old 02-19-2022, 01:28 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff R View Post
The "energy level" of the younger generation is "low". They have PLENTY of energy to reach in their pockets to check their cell phones, but beyond that very few have the drive, stamina, or motivation to do much else.
Exactly!

The local High School called me 5 years ago a few months prior to retiring and wanted to know if I'd help the Auto Shop teacher part time, I said sure, doesn't pay much, but it sounded fun.

There are about 70-80 kids annually in the auto program. I would say 10-20% of them are engaged depending on the year. They are constantly on their phones. We have plenty of cars (staff and donated) to work on, state of the art equipment and a ASE Master tech for a teacher.

Were in an affluent area. Everything is given to them right now by their parents, I don't know what some of these kids are going to do when they are on their own.

When I started, the teacher had them doing RC car builds for club activities. Interest died away, so I suggested building real cars. We have 3 current builds and restoration projects, but only 3-5 kids are committed to working on them. Heck, I get more participation in my Saturday Car Club from a bunch of old guys.

About 50% of the Auto kids have no plan or intention to go to college. Some are going to the big box tech schools that don't offer a degree but charge 10s of thousands of dollars for a certificate. I tell them that they need some kind of degree so they can have a greater chance for a comfortable lifestyle when they are my age.

Our school offers them a chance to get a ASE Student certification which will make it easier to get that first mechanic job and to get into the GM, Ford, or Stelantis apprentice programs to become a dealer tech. About 20-30% pass the test.

So much more opportunity available today than when I was their age.

Last edited by HoovDaddy; 02-19-2022 at 01:35 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to HoovDaddy For This Useful Post: