View Single Post
Old 04-08-2021, 10:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Corcoran View Post
For cam recommendations I don't believe the cam manufacturer is the best place to go. Sure they sell a lot of cams but how many of those cams have they really tried in specific combos to know what they will do? I believe it's better to buy the cam from an experienced engine builder like Butler Performance, SD Performance etc. who have installed and dynoed many cams in many combos and already know which ones get the job done and which ones don't. And they have their favorites for specific combos. Even if you are using a computer program to science out a cam for your specific combo that's still theory but tried and true based on track and on the dyno testing I believe is your best bet.
I mostly agree with this. If you call Bullet Cams and talk to Tim Goolsby for example, you are talking to a guy with 30+ years of camshaft recommendation experience, and a guy who was the #2 man behind master camshaft designer Harold Brookshire. If you call Comp or Lunnati and get a random "tech" guy on the phone, he may have been flipping hamburgers at McDonnalds two days ago. The offer of a new job recommending camshafts and reading from a script for .50 cents an hour more was too much to turn down. It's all about "who" you are talking to. Another reason I strongly recommend going to the PRI show and making personal connections.