View Single Post
Old 04-06-2023, 11:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
In theory, I am with you. Stretch is a direct measurement and if done correctly, just has to be the most accurate. But in practice, it's a real PIA. I have the ARP branded stretch gauge. Not sure who makes it for them. It is hard to fit and manipulate during engine assembly. As mentioned, I don't have enough strength to pull 80-85 ft. lbs. which is needed to stretch the Molnar bolts to length with regular box wrenches. I do have the Snap-On high performance extra long box wrenches. They do at least make it possible. Still, with an electronic torque wrench with angle capability, I feel confident this method is accurate and much easier to do. As I mentioned, in my limited testing on 16 rods, 32 fasteners. All were within .001" stretch when measured using the torque angle method. So I think either method would be fine and both far superior and more accurate than straight torque.
I can’t imagine I mean I have the snap on torque wrench when doing head bolts, it’s pretty long can’t imagine trying to do rod bolts with stretch gauge and a long wrench.