View Single Post
Old 01-14-2014, 12:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

as for protecting external aluminum parts... i use & have had great success with spray can clear engine enamels. done intakes, valve covers & most recently the aluminum radiator & my e-heads on a 468 i just finished. the valve covers on my 78 400 are the gm performance "pontiac" covers & they look like the day i did them 5 years ago & well over 5000+ miles, no signs of peeling or breaking down & not a hint of corrosion like i see on some others that are only a year old or less. aside from a little dust, dirt & oil residue normal for anything in the engine compartment, it wipes right off. key is to be perfectly clean & use a very light coat, too think & it could peel or affect the cooling of the radiator.

on the e-heads there is no sign of yellowing near the exhaust ports or any peeling or flaking. this is after about 600 break in miles & even a dyno session that faded the ceramic coat on the headers a little. & even if they do start to yellow a little bit on the ex ports, the rest of the head should stay just as nice as the valve covers after many years & thousands of miles. look at any aluminum heads or other parts after just a year or so, we all know how corroded & ugly they can get. heck the e-heads started to corrode & get that white powdery substance after only a couple months sitting inside my house! clean em up, wire brush as best you can & wipe clean with brake cleaner or laquer thinner, then spray with a light coat of the engine clear. you will be amazed at how well it works.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0320a.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	349318   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2550a.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	349319  

The Following User Says Thank You to 78w72 For This Useful Post: