View Single Post
Old 01-16-2014, 12:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66bonne View Post
I have KRE aluminum heads on a 455. I have four copper grounding straps running from the heads and block to the firewall and chassis. Only run distilled water and Water Wetter as the drag strips don't like coolant. I still get some corrosion in the motor.
So I'm taking Les' {Wheelspin} suggestion of using a sacrificial anode.

Jim
might get away with straight water in FL, but thats not going to work for anyone where the weather gets anywhere near freezing. & just to keep this all on topic, the OP's main question is about protecting external engine parts from corroding. i'm not sure how or why the grounding issue came up. you could have 100 seperate grounds from any part of the engine you wanted.... but external unprotected aluminum parts will still corrode from the atmosphere, unless you seal them off with something. grounds are irrelevant to this.

add an anode rod or whatever for internal corrosion & electrolasis etc, but to protect external parts, use a clear paint or some have suggested wiping them with wd-40 or some other chemical, but that is temporary at best & will attract dust & dirt.