View Single Post
Old 08-31-2020, 02:45 PM

Smile

I emailed Progressive Ignitions with my thoughts on improving the app and got a response that has me happy and wanted to pass it along.
Quote:
I just bought your distributor for my 68 Pontiac 400. I think it's a great product, but I have some input that I'd like to share about the APP. I think that some minor modifications to it could make it much more useful, particularly for people buying it who are not timing experts, therefore will have more trial and error sessions with the setup.
1) Allow the real time monitoring to be saved so that you can review it after a test. Trying to look at your phone while driving 80 to see your stats is difficult and dangerous.
2) Allow the timing chart to be viewed outside of the app, in a spreadsheet format, to allow easier analysis.
3) Allow color coding of timing numbers - if this is difficult, then going back to #2 will allow users to do so.
4) Allow the system to display (or be set up originally) using vacuum in hg rather than kPa. Most users who are opting for an advanced distributor without doing the whole EFI/ECM setup are familiar with all manual readings of tuning from under the hood, so suddenly converting to an inverted pressure measurement can be confusing and take a while to adjust to.
5) Once people have purchased the ignition system, show some real life setups that work on various motor setups. Downloadable preferred so that it can be analyzed and used as a template to build a new one for the user.
The response was:
Quote:
we will be doing a huge app update soon that addresses most of this stuff. The reason manifold absolute pressure is used to tune engines is because it tells you the ACTUAL density of the air fuel mixture. Vacuum is a relative measurement that tells you the DIFFERENCE in density between the intake manifold and the atmosphere. Density affects how much timing the engine needs because the molecules are further apart and take longer to burn. The problem with vacuum is atmospheric pressure changes with altitude. A vacuum gauge doesn't show this. MAP does. The new app will show converted vacuum values in in/hg and boost values in psi on the gauges screen but the table will still be in kPa because you want to tune using absolute values not relative. Thanks
Super stoked about the app updates. I do love using the app, but with these sorts of changes, I think it will really be awesome.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thatguy2001 For This Useful Post: