View Single Post
Old 11-29-2021, 09:50 PM
Senior Chief

I have stripped and restored around a couple of dozen consoles tops and bases.

For paint removal on a base, I use lacquer thinner on a rag, moisten a small area, about 3" x 3", scrub lightly with a small brass bristle brush. Repeat until paint is removed. SEE NOTES.

Note 1: If it is original paint and has not been repainted, do not soak with lacquer thinner, just get it wet enough to start softening the paint. Also, I have found the original paint to be like a good primer, so I have never stripped 100% of the original paint off the base. I just dampen the area, let sit for a few seconds, then lightly brush. I repeat this process until I have removed the desired amount of paint. I usually leave what would look like a very light "fog" coating on. Also, you will not get all of the paint out of the grain. But just brush in different directions and/or circular motion to get most of the paint out of the grain. You do not need to get all of the paint out of the grain to get an original looking grain pattern after repainting. Trying to remove 100% of the paint will either take you a million hours or you will soften the surrounding area so much that you will end up actually damaging the grain pattern. See pictures below.

Note 2: If the base has been repainted, you can get more aggressive, i.e., get the area wetter to soften the repaint coat. Once you start seeing the original base coat, don't get the area as wet. Don't be afraid to get it wet enough, you just don't want it running down or pooling anywhere. Just start with a very small area, dampen and brush and you will be able to tell after a few tries how wet you want to get the area you are working on.

Note 3: If you are using lacquer thinner or any solvent that would melt styrene plastic, do not soak or get excessive solvent on bare spots on the base or it will start to soften the plastic. Again, dampen your rag, plenty wet but not dripping wet, and wipe the area. After a couple of small sections, you will figure out how wet you want to get the area. Start on the top underneath the top plate as that is hidden and you can't hurt anything there.

Note 4: Change rags frequently because, as you are wetting an area, you will get a buildup of paint on the rag. You don't want to put wet paint on the rag back on the base. It doesn't really hurt anything, it just takes longer that way.

Note 5: This isn't a 1 hour job. It will take a few hours for an original paint removal and half again as much if it has been repainted. If there's more than 2 coats of paint, bring dinner with you. I also completely strip (100%) of the glove box area at the same time. After the base is painted, I mask the base off and reflock the glove box area. When finished, you will have a show quality base.

Attached are a couple of pictures of bases I have done. As you can see, the original grain pattern is clear and crisp as original.

Hope this helps you out. Good luck!

Terry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	64-67 GTO CONSOLE BASE - BLUE  #002.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	578803   Click image for larger version

Name:	64-67 GTO CONSOLE BASE - BLUE  #007.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	578804   Click image for larger version

Name:	64-67 GTO CONSOLE BASE - GREEN  #001.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	578806   Click image for larger version

Name:	64-67 GTO CONSOLE BASE - GREEN  #012.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	578807  

Last edited by xgoater; 11-29-2021 at 09:58 PM.