View Single Post
Old 01-29-2010, 06:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Mark,
Most of the info you posted is correct, I have owned a white car in the past, and presently own what was a silver formula that a previous owner repainted red. As you stated the Formula Package consisted of the following items.

RTS Suspension, that included front and rear sway bars.

Formula Graphic's with the exeption of the hood decal that was optional.

3 Piece rear spoiler.

Charcoal painted rear tail light panel and lower accent stripes (exept on black cars)

Also blacked out grills & Headlight Bezals, the headlight Bezals are standard Vega GT items. Also the side glass trim only is black, front and rear glass trim is still bright.

Sport Mirror's drivers remote, silver were Charcoal, I had awhite one and they were body colored.

Ralley Gauges were standard.

Formula wheel with unique arrow head emblem was standard. This wheel required the optional tilt column, and the tilt column required you buy power steering.

13" Ralley wheels were standard, they are the same as the Vega Ralley II wheels, with Pontiac specific center caps (both my cars came with 2 caps with blacked out centers, and 2 standard Astre/Sunbird caps with the bright centers. I don't know what ones are correct, I do know that 75 Astre SJ's came with the blacked out center caps.) Also the wheels will have the Olds Starfire bright slot trim on them. The only optional rims were the 13" Aluminum Snowflake's.

As for the engine, yes the 2.5 Iron Duke was standard, with the Formula 2.5 aircleaner lid, and the chrome valve cover, but I have seen a few late 77 standard Astre's with these items also. And though I have never seen one, there was no reason some one could not order 2.3 Vega engine for a credit.

Transmission were standard saginaw 4-speed, with the borg warner T-50 five speed, and M-200 3 speed auto optional.

Body styles available were the Hatch Back & Wagon, I do have some very bad old pic's of a black Formula wagon that were sent to me several years ago. The original owner said there was also a Red 5-speed wagon on the lot at the time he bought the Black Automatic car. The Wagons used the standard rear window air deflector instead of a spoiler. The package was not available on Sedans.

Glad to see another Formula H-body owner on this site!!! Fred Simonds estimated that they made between 300 to 400 Astre Formulas Total, but he was estimating off of total production numbers.

I attached a few Factory Press pic's, and a couple of my current Formula in its sad state, and one shot of my 78 Sunbird Wagon, just to show the optional 13" Snowflake wheels.

I hope that helps, I am sure I forgot a few things.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img94.gif
Views:	170
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	195528   Click image for larger version

Name:	img95.gif
Views:	196
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	195529   Click image for larger version

Name:	img96.gif
Views:	179
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	195530   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020445.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	195531   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09045.JPG
Views:	285
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	195532  

78 Catlina Safari, Pontiac 400 powered
77 Astre Formula, 215 Buick V-8 T-5
73 Lemans Safari, 400 4bbl 4-speed
71 Catalina Enforcer, 455 4bbl
06 Mallet Solstice #024 LS2, Now with a Tremec 6060 6-speed!
2012 F-150 Echo Boost (My local Ford Dealer SUX!!!)
2020 Dodge Charger Scat pack (recovered)