View Single Post
Old 03-25-2022, 05:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisp View Post
By using the vented gaskets on all 3 carbs as stated that would allow unfiltered air to enter engine when throttle blades are open & why would the fuel vapors not just vent out the top of carbs as the end carbs have no choke & when hot the center carb choke is open ? I believe the vented gaskets may only be beneficial if carbs begin to flood as it would allow some of the fuel to exit & not all go past the throttle blades.
It was in a different lifetime (maybe 1975 or so), so I do not remember the exact words; however:

I asked about these to a Rochester engineer (who had heard the question before ) and he told me: (a) the vents relieve excess pressure in the throttle body area under hot idle and slow running conditions thereby alleviating an over-rich condition, and (b) the vents connect to a "dead" area in the throttle body, so virtually zero air would ever enter the carburetor, only exit.

If someone has a new old stock Rochester carburetor kit from the early 1960's (I junked all of mine); one will find, in addition to the adjustment sheet, a small yellow sheet stating something to the effect "the gaskets in this kit are correct, use them". I guess Rochester got a few inquiries early on.

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.