Thread: G8 6spd swap?
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2011, 04:36 AM

"Because it's more money and trouble than it's worth."

agreed... you would need the trans, pcm, bcm, tune, possible wiring, cutting/welding/instillation, interior pieces, etc. Speaking from experience on other vehicles, this is more trouble then it's worth.

I am happy the the auto/auto shift myself. If you have tons of cash to burn, it would be a good idea. If you are going to do the mod (especially on a 6 cyl...) go buy a gxp since it would cost around the same.

There are also not alot of gxp's being parted out so I would assume you would have to buy these parts brand new. I can only assume the bcm/pcm would cost a ton by themselves. I would honestly estimate the instillation cost (if done by yourself) at least near 10k if not more. Check out the inflated prices on new car parts in this economy and be realistic. New tranny would cost near 5k alone, thenpcm/bcm/console, tune, etc.

I have seen several m6's for sale recently including a psm (rarest color) on autotrader.com. They go very fast (in a day or two) but they have been selling for around 30-33k. Remember these are used cars now and even though they are rare they are still depreciating. Some people think these cars are worth a ton and try to sell them for 40k+, and they sit on the cars forever because no one is spending this lol. I almost bought a 09 gxp sbm for 40k with 2k miles 4 months ago in ohio but i bought a gt instead. i also saw a 09 gxp with 700 miles sell for 33k 3 weeks ago on autotrader. I assume these cars will be in the 20-25k range in a year or two, just look at grand prix gxp's or solstice gxps. Also remember that most of the auto gxp's are rarer than the manuals as they produced more m6's than autos.

Above all, however, if you want to do the mod, go for it. I say "to each his own", but i figured I's put in my 2 cents... Sorry for the long post.
2001 Grand Am GT
------------------------------------------
2007 Grand Prix GXP (loaded) - SOLD March 2014
1997 Formula - SOLD August 2013
1997 Grand Prix GTP Coupe -SOLD April 2011
1984 Firebird 350 -SOLD June 2003
1975 Trans Am 455 4spd - SOLD 2/13/14
1974 LeMans GT (RIP)
1966 LeMans -SOLD December 2008