Thread: G8 6spd swap?
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2011, 08:20 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVERULD View Post
Local guy here in Atlanta did an A6 to M6 conversion on a GT plus a bunch of other mods. Pretty good threads on it over at the G8 board. Like others have posted, by the time he got it all done and tuned, he was way over GXP M6 $. I didn't really see the point. But he has a unique ride as a result.

BJ
are you talking about Dave GA? He is the first to do it I believe, however I dont think his conversion is a good representation because he has a really hot motor and he went all out on the parts, you could get stock LS stuff for way cheaper than what he did, not to mention not all the one off stuff he got from manufacturers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 455_PWR View Post
"Because it's more money and trouble than it's worth."

agreed... you would need the trans, pcm, bcm, tune, possible wiring, cutting/welding/instillation, interior pieces, etc. Speaking from experience on other vehicles, this is more trouble then it's worth.
snip

There are also not alot of gxp's being parted out so I would assume you would have to buy these parts brand new. I can only assume the bcm/pcm would cost a ton by themselves. I would honestly estimate the instillation cost (if done by yourself) at least near 10k if not more. Check out the inflated prices on new car parts in this economy and be realistic. New tranny would cost near 5k alone, thenpcm/bcm/console, tune, etc.
snip

Above all, however, if you want to do the mod, go for it. I say "to each his own", but i figured I's put in my 2 cents... Sorry for the long post.
yea I doubt many gxp's are being parted out, but as I stated earlier, the holden VE (Australian for g8 haha) came with the T-56 so there are plenty of manual trans parts out there. Also there are more than a few Australian firms I have seen selling VE/G8 parts for this specific reason.

if Dave GA did it for around 8K with all the race/high end custom parts Im sure that you could do it cheaper. One of the Australian companies has a complete kit for 5K Australian dollars, from the pedals to the drive shaft.

68 Firebird 400, YC 400, Hbeam rods, ported 670 heads (2.11i, 1.77e valves), 1.65 RRs, Torker 2 intake, Nodular Crank, Eaton Limited Slip, Richmond 3.55 gears, M-20 M4
97 Trans Am WS6, LT1, M6, FLP LTs, Cutouts, Flowmaster catback, Jet Airfoil, K&N air filter, MSD Opti and Coil
14 Fiat 500e 83kW motor, 24kWh lithium ion battery, +2 sized summer tires