View Single Post
Old 08-12-2022, 11:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66sprint6 View Post
Well, I really screwed this one up, and I can't figure out how or why. I took the timing cover off and confirmed that the dots were correct. In this case, the dot on the crank sprocket at 12:00 and and the camshaft sprocket at 6:00. I know that in this case to stab the distributor at the #6 terminal. I did all that and fired it up with the distributor not too advanced or retarded. Checked it all again and tried to fire it up. The thing popped and backfired like a SOB. Wouldn't rev, didn't run anywhere near smooth. It ran for a bit at about 500 RPM's, but kept stalling with a backfire. So I guess that I effed up the cam. I'm not worried about the cam, I can get another one. But why does it seem as the engine fires when either an intake or exhaust valve is open? We're going to put the old cam back in and see what happens. Pretty bummed out at this time. Losing a lot of precious Canadian summer weather to enjoy the car.
Dot UP both is TDC on #1! easiest to instal cam dot down crank dot up. That is TDC #6! Rotate till cam is dot UP after that Then install Dizzy to No 1!

And where in Canada are you? Shuswap BC myself. About redy to drop my 470 into my bird soon as I locate a hoist long enough to clear the nose.

"If it ain't broke, modify somethin till it is"