View Single Post
Old 01-14-2022, 04:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdoro 68 View Post
The valve seal issue happened in 2012. I pulled the heads, had the shop fix the guides, put new seals on, cleaned it out as best I could, put it back together and have been running it sense. Clearly the damage was done. Knowing what I know now, I should have pulled the engine back then.

The last incarnation was pretty stock - unported #16 heads, Lunati 702 Voodoo HFT, matching springs, 1.65 stamped rockers, '68 cast iron intake, '68 Q-jet, HO manifolds. 2.5" exhaust, 3.55 posi, TH400 w/13" Continental stall.

The bottom end currently has stock rods, ARP rod bolts, ARP studs, dished Ross pistons and a stock crank.

This all started because I was going to refresh the top end with the following:

Ram Air II heads
Kauffmann hydraulic roller 224/230 .502/.510 112
1.5 roller rockers
'68 Q-Jet
Repro '69 Ram Air IV intake
HO manifolds

Yep, it's a slippery slope but it always pays to do things right. It took me over 3 months to get the new cam from Kauffmann and now I'm not sure I'm even going to use it. Reminds me of the phrase you see a lot on for sale parts "Going in a different direction..."

No rush on any of this work. We're only working against my wife's patience of having an immobile car to dance around in the garage.
I was going to ask if you had that cam already because if you decide with the stroker kit you'll want a little more cam than that. But I decided not to ask because I figured you were already in price frustration, lol.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE