View Single Post
Old 03-10-2021, 11:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Meaney View Post
are one of those frames pictured supposed to be a Gp? just looking at the placement of engine stands, neither look Gp to me.

best of luck on your Gp quest. hope you find what you're looking for, and don't forget to share the find with us.
Correct, neither one of those frames are GP frames, The engines are much further back. The exact reason I choose a GP over an A body for a stock car basis is engine placement. I raced 69-70 GPs at the local dirt track for 4 years (third picture in my signature picture, is a 69 SJ GP)

. I parted at least 3 of them apart for parts for the race car during that time, and yes they are 118 inch wheel base cars. The only thing that may be close in chevy, is Monte Carlo, but Monte Carlo was 116 inches, not 118 inches, not a direct replacement for GP. Maybe that's the chassis you're thinking about that interchanges with El Camino.

The 69 and 70 chassis have different motor mount stands as there was the changeover from the 2 bolt motor mounts, to the 3 hole motor mounts in 1970. 1969 mounts are welded to the frame, not bolted on as most GM stands are. 1970, I can't recall for sure if they were bolted, or welded to the frame. it's been been over 40 years ago that I raced a GP stock car, that detail escapes me at this date. I don't think any other GM frame interchanges with 69-72 GP.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated