Thread: Amazement
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2022, 03:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhein View Post
...I asked my builder what he thinks my motor will make and he won't make a prediction. I understand where he's coming from. If he predicts a certain number and you don't get there then there's disappointment and maybe even blame...
Smart builder. There is an additional problem that the engine builder has to put up with. Every small block Chevy motor at a car show has in excess of 500 horsepower because that's what they wanted and that's what they were told. Very safe because the owner won't ever get near a dyno and won't ever race the car. Then the Pontiac guy wants "500 horsepower" since his Chevy friend has that.

Right now with aluminum heads we can go about 425 horsepower with a 400 or about 450 horsepower with a 455 and have a totally stock sounding and acting engine running on 91 octane. It will be a pussy cat at that level but still fry the tires down the block. From there on up as horsepower increases there continues to be an increasing loss of drivability as horsepower continues to climb. End result of loosing drivability is comparable to one's pain threshold, some people will tolerate much more than others. Some say they want 500 horsepower but also want the driving experience to be closer to what they have with their Honda Accord. For those that don't mind the sacrifices, we now have the aftermarket parts to achieve whatever level they want.

Anymore, I hear "500 horsepower" and my reaction is about the same as hearing fingernails down a blackboard.