View Single Post
Old 04-19-2021, 01:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post

So ... unless I plan to scuff I need to do any top coats of anything within 7 days?
Most of my car was in epoxy for years before I topcoated. I would do spot repairs, sand and respray more epoxy as needed at various times and locations over those years.

Quote:
Will scuffing give me adhesion as well as if I was inside the 7 days? I ask this because I work slow, I'll only be doing one area of the body at a time.
According to the data sheets that I recall and my experience, yes, it will adhere fine with a scuff coat. I did it many times with scotchbrite pads and/or sandpaper.

Quote:
Can I prime and trim the jambs and such with BC/CC in the final color and then spray the rest at a later date? I'll probably get the trim out done this summer, but it could be a year or more (we plan on moving) before the rest of the body gets painted. The car will probably be mostly assembled during the final painting so I have lots of areas to trim out, jambs, inside top of fenders, trunk, cowl etc.
I jambed mine but my painter said that he'd have preferred I hadn't. Can't remember why but it wasn't a huge deal. I do recall the guy at the paint store also telling me aftewards to sand all of my jamb work away if it was on the outer surfaces anywhere, which I did, but it was ok in the jambs. All of this just convinced me that I probably should have just waited for the painter's advice.
One thing you don't want is a tape line between the jambs and the outers. That's why I had overspray fogged on the outside. I'd didn't think it'd be an issue but, like Sgt. Schultz..... I know nut-zing... really when it comes to body work and painting. Just asked questions and tried to follow the advice.
I have found the epoxy primer to be very, very durable when testing adhesion. It really sticks and is tough and even just a little flexible when dried.

The Following User Says Thank You to Greg Reid For This Useful Post: